115 g Low Fat Spread, plus extra for greasing
225 g Plain White Flour
1 teaspoons, level Bicarbonate of Soda
1 tablespoons, level Ground Ginger
1 teaspoons, level Ground Cinnamon
200g Molasses, dark
2 medium raw Eggs, lightly beaten
75 g Morrisons Stem Ginger in Syrup, drained and roughly chopped
2 tablespoons Maple Syrup, stem ginger syrup
- Preheat the oven to 180°C, fan 160°C, gas mark 4. Lightly grease a 20cm square tin and line with baking paper.
- Sift the flour, bicarbonate of soda, ginger and cinnamon into a bowl.
- Melt the spread in a pan over a low heat, allow to cool slightly then stir in the molasses and eggs.
- Mix the molasses mixture into the dry ingredients, and then stir through most of the stem ginger (reserve 1 tbsp for decoration).
- Bake for 30 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean.
- In a pan, warm the reserved syrup with 1 tsp water. Pierce holes over the top of the warm cake and then brush over the syrup. Decorate with the reserved stem ginger then leave to cool completely before turning out of the tin and cutting into 16 squares.