Eating out – Savvy tips that let you green-light some favourites!
BE MENU WISE
Don’t put your social life on hold. Our tips will help you spot the smart choices on the menu.
1. Use your SmartPoints budget to plan ahead. If you want to order your favourite high-in-SmartPoints pasta or steak dish, stick to lower (or 0!) SmartPoints meals and snacks earlier in the day.
2. Before you go, look up the menu online. Find the 0 SmartPoints items (like fish or chicken breast) and build a tasty and nutritious meal from there. Track before you go so you won’t be swayed by other orders.
3. Ask for dressings and sauces served on the side.
4. Understand the lingo: smothered, rich, au gratin, glazed, and creamy usually indicate high SmartPoints values. Flame-grilled, poached, smoked, baked, and grilled tend to be lower.
5. Don’t be shy about special requests – ask for a salad instead of chips with your main course or vegetables with balsamic vinegar instead of swimming in butter.
6. Resign from the clean plate club – there’s no prize for finishing your food. Stop when you’re satisfied, not when you’re stuffed (ask for a takeaway box for leftovers). Put your napkin on your plate to signal you’re finished.
7. Be salad savvy – creamy dressings, croutons, bacon, avocado, nuts, and seeds are flavoursome but high in SmartPoints; a little goes a long way. Top with fresh fruit instead; also flavoursome, and zero Points!
8. Use your rollovers, FitPointsTM and weekly SmartPoints. They give you flexibility. And track the best you can – estimating is OK!
9. Enjoy yourself. If you have enough SmartPoints in your budget and you want it, get it and love every bite of it. And if you go over it – don’t panic. It’s what you do next that matters.
Make eating out simpler with the Eat Out Guide –
The A-Z guide to making smart menu choices.
Small enough to take everywhere, this guide gives you the SmartPoints values for your favourite restaurant, pub, café and bars, it’s easy to make the right choice, so you can relax, enjoy and leave the counting to us. With tips to help you make the most of the long list of zero points foods and the rollovers. The Eat Out guide gives estimated SmartPoints values for generic restaurants, including Chinese, Indian, Thai, Chip Shop and Greek so eating at your local can be made simple. The guide also includes drinking your favourite beverage with top tips on how to stretch your allowance.
Available to buy at your local Weight Watchers class.