450g (1lb) pumpkin or butternut squash, peeled, de-seeded and cubed
205ml light evaporated milk
1 egg, beaten
100g (3 ½ oz) soft light brown sugar
½ tsp ground cinnamon
3 sheets filo pastry (80g/3 oz)
1 tsp icing sugar, to decorate
- Place the squash in a lidded pan and cover with cold water. Cover, bring to the boil and simmer for 25-30 minutes until tender. Drain well and then mash with a potato masher and allow to cool.
- Preheat the oven to gas mark 6/ 200⁰C/ fan 180⁰C. Place the evaporated milk in a large bowl with the egg, sugar and spices, and whisk together with a fork. Stir in the mashed squash and combine thoroughly.
- Line a 23cm (9 inch) diameter flan or pie dish with the filo pastry by first layering the sheets with the edges overlapping. Then fold back the excess pastry into the dish, leaving a little excess sticking up to form a lip around the circumference.
- Pour the filling into the pastry case, place the pie on a baking tray and bake for 35-40 minutes until golden and firm to the touch. Cover the pie with some foil if the pastry starts to brown too much.
- Cool a little, then remove from the tin and cut into wedges. Dust with the icing sugar to serve.