- Calorie controlled cooking spray
- 1 onion, chopped finely
- 1 tablespoon plain flour
- 1 teaspoon tomato puree
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 4 tablespoon red wine
- 400ml (14 fl oz) vegetable stock
- A pinch of dried thyme
- Spray a lidded saucepan with the cooking spray, add the onion and cook for 6-7 minutes over a medium heat until the onion is softened and browned, adding a splash of water if the onion starts to stick.
- Add the flour and tomato puree and cook for 1 minute, stirring. Remove the pan from the heat and add the soy sauce and wine, mixing until smooth.
- Gradually add the stock, stirring as you go. Add the thyme then return the pan to the heat. Bring the sauce to the boil then reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 10 minutes. If you prefer thicker gravy, remove the lid and continue to simmer until it’s as thick as you like it. Serve the hot gravy in a warmed jug.
Taking the pan out of direct contact with the heat reduces the likelihood of lumps forming.